Monday, December 04, 2006

Mr. Sandman

After 21 months of cosleeping, I have noticed a thing or two about falling asleep. First of all, it's often very hard to lay down with your baby and get them to sleep without falling asleep yourself. (It's also very hard for me to know whether I should be typing "lay" or "lie".) At least it is for me.

It's the weirdest thing. It's like sleep just descends on the room at some point, and you better be on guard, or you're going out with the baby. What IS that? Kevin said it happens to him, too. Is there really a Sandman who comes along only at certain times and tries to take out as many people as possible? Does the little one lying next to me try to grab my spirit and take it with him? I sometimes can feel when he falls asleep. Not to creep anyone out, but it's similar to what I felt when I sat next to my stepfather as he died. It must be what it's like when we leave the body. A feeling of floating around the room. It feels free.

~t

No comments: