Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Credit Cards

I think credit cards are worth talking about at this time of year. It has long been a goal of mine to be financially independent, and the first step towards that is getting out of debt. I have certainly used my share of credit cards in my life and I could be again. I think the trick is to use them responsibly and be smart about it. That means, first of all, being informed on credit card news.

One thing that can help a lot is 0% balance transfers on higher percentage rate cards. Make sure you read the fine print, however, so that you know the long term commitment you are making is worth the original savings. My favorite is when they extend the 0% for the life of the remainder of the loan.

There are a lot of places to get credit card advice. I suggest reading up from a number of different sources and really being informed. The sooner you can get the debt paid off, the better. Again, make sure to read the fine print so that you don't end up being committed to something that doesn't help you in the long run.

~t

No comments: