Thursday, January 04, 2007

Telling my mom we were getting a puppy

Here is my mom.



She does not like animals. She is afraid of them. And they make messes. She does not like messes. It must be a holdover from when she was working and had two kids to take care of, because frankly, she has plenty of time to clean up messes now. But she still doesn't like to.

We have no jobs. We have more than enough work at home for both Kevin and I. We are stretched to the limit emotionally just trying to take care of all this stuff. Neither Kevin nor I want any more children right now. (Have to add "right now" in case another comes along, because then we'd have to change our minds!) My mom knows all this. My mom is infinitely practical about a LOT of things.

I thought I would soften the blow of the puppy by giving her a really difficult blow and then softening it. The night before we got the puppy, I had to tell her. (It happened kinda fast, but she knew it was a possibility.) So, on a whim, I decided to play with it. I said, "We're going to have a baby."

I was expecting shock and horror, as Kevin would have expressed, and rightfully so. Instead, she got soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy and said, "REALLY?" So, I had to quickly say, "A baby PUPPY!" Followed by, "Are you MAD, woman?" Yikes.

~t

No comments: