Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pet Insurance



Way back in the year 2000, my cat Madeleine got very sick. She ended up having a mass attached to her small intestine the size of a fist. We had been together for 4 years at that point. I lived alone and she kept me company. I was very attached to her. It was important for me to do everything I could to help her get well, so when that ended up being surgery, I went for it, despite the price tag that I couldn't really afford: over $2000. At the time, I thought, why don't they have Pet Insurance? I could really use some.

Well, guess what? They may have had it then, but it's definitely gained popularity since that time. I know I'm not alone in valuing a pet like a member of the family, and I also know I'm not the only one who has gone through this.

Statistic show that:


  • 1 in 3 pets will need emergency medical care in the next year.
  • 2 in 3 pets will experience a major health problem during their lifetime.
  • Some fairly common pet health issues can cost between $2000-$6000.


What ended up happening with Madeleine? Well, the mass was cancerous and they gave her only a few months to live. That was how I met my healer husband. She's still kicking today, although we left her in Milwaukee with a good friend when we moved to Washington. I might still be paying off her vet bills, however.





~t

No comments: