Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Our Windows are Bare

Remember back in college or when you had your first place? I don't know about you, but it was pretty much the norm for people I knew to just throw a sheet or something up over their windows for privacy.

I am 34 now, and somewhere along the line, I decided that the sheet as window covering genre just wasn't working for me anymore. Do you ever have one of those turning point moments? When you just say, "I've had enough of THIS!" or "I'm too old for THIS." Well, that's how it was at my last apartment. Finally, we purchased real window coverings for all of our windows. We were official grown ups.

And then we moved again.

I find you can transfer some of your curtains or blinds, but never all of them. You always have to find something new. You never have exactly what you need. And to be honest, I'm more than slightly intimidated by ordering blinds. We have some that are working and some that are not. We probably would need to special order. That intimidated me into not doing anything. Especially because in my mind "special order" equals "special price".

So, ok, the windows are not completely BARE, but they are not really working for me. And Kevin, who has not hit the "I will not have a sheet as a window covering" turning point, even though he is 35, has put up a sheet-like covering in his office. I think the threshold for men might be older. And to be fair, it's a nice native-looking, sarong-type thing from our honeymoon in St. Lucia. I don't think I can do anything about that. But there are a few other spots I can fix.

I did find this great site where you can get blinds. The best thing about it was that it gave me a quote really easy based on what kind of blinds I was interested in and the dimensions of my window. I went in thinking that I would probably need to talk to an actual person to get any real info, but not so! (Not that actual people are bad, but I thought it was probably just going to be a sales pitch thing, and I find that annoying. I also hate not knowing a price range going in because I don't want to waste anyone's time just to say, I can't pay THAT!)

When I decided to try out their "quick quote" options, I just picked a kind of blinds from a nice selection and put in my dimensions. It gave me three different options AND their prices, which at first glance were not as intimidating as I had feared. Then you get to customize all different kind of options about color, mounting, tilt controls, cord positioning, the works. It was very easy and I could just buy them right there. Nice.

~t

No comments: