Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Buy the Sky and Sell the Sky

Wow. I'm listening to XM radio on my TV while bopping around the Internet and REMs Fall on Me just came on. The whole CD, Life's Rich Pageant, was a fabulously mellow, entrancing ride. Hearing it now takes me back to listening to a tape in my little room in New Berlin, WI. I imagine it must have been at least 20 years ago. I was probably 13 or 14. Fall on Me was one of my favorite songs. (Call out to my old grade school friend, Ann Winze, for introducing me to the songs the cool kids were listening to.)

Did you ever read Proust's Remembrances of Things Past, I think it's called? (Le Recherche du Temps Perdu en Francais.) It is a very large work, multiple volumes, I think. But the most well-known part deals with a little cookie called a Madeleine and how he eats a Madeleine one day and just the mere taste floods all his senses with so many memories. I think for him it was of visiting an aunt as a child and eating those cookies. That's how I felt hearing the song just now. Isn't memory a miraculous thing?

~t

No comments: