Sunday, October 29, 2006

Disclosure Policy

There has been a lot of debate in the blogosphere about ads in and on blogs. What is ethical? What isn't? Should we be telling our readers that we are accepting money or gifts for some of our blog entries? How will advertisers feel about that? Will it undercut our credibility with readers?

These are all great questions. I certainly understand both sides and do support transparency for both ethical and reader trust reasons. I feel good about my blogging for money. I'm providing a service to both the advertisers and the readers by getting them together. I only say what I really think. I have no problem with my readers knowing this; in fact, I think they should. However, it has seemed a bit extreme to me to post a message on every single paid post. And some advertisers don't like it. One solution is that bloggers adopt a disclosure policy and post it on their blog.

To that end, there is a new Disclosure Policy Generator. I generated a disclosure policy, using their simple 6-step process. Here it is (There will also be a link to this post on my sidebar):

DISCLOSURE POLICY


Thanks, Reader!

~t

No comments: